I’ve released Self 4.4 Beta 1.
Download VM installers for MacOS X and Linux and Clean and Demo snapshots from: http://selflanguage.org/download/. As usual, the sources for the Self VM and objects are available from http://github.com/russellallen/self including as a tarball.
Barring minor fixes, I will reissue this release as Self 4.4 at the start of April. The proper description of Self 4.4 is a revived Self running on modern Mac OS X and Linux x86 and ready as a base for new functionality.
Self 4.4 will be the first Self release since Self 4.3 which was released in June 2006. In future we will attempt a slightly faster turnaround 🙂
Please post bugs to the Self bugtracker at http://self.lighthouseapp.com and to this mailing list.
Since Alpha 2 we have changed (this is a quick dump from commit messages):
- Changes to SelfDroplet to ensure proper registration of filetype
- Minor changes to website
- Fix for bug ticket #3 – Compressed snapshots now work on Linux
- Fix to UI1 text editing and small improvement to error handling
- Fix for bug ticket #2 – Self will now compile on Ubuntu
- Fix for bug ticket #1 – Linux: Display will now reopen after saving world in new snapshot
- Added -Wno-write-strings flag to GCC compile
- Initial copy of Self Handbook (incorporates existing manuals in RST for Sphinx)
- Changes for Snow Leopard
- Add a nice icon for the Dock in MacOS X
- Removed some binaries from the git repository, split sortedList out of the list module.
- Fix colorsFor: in ‘traits ui2Image’ to account for mapped or unmapped
- Add PNG support and fix JPG/GIF support in webBrowser
- Changed flag to be “-headless” to start image without ui2
- Added Chris Double as an AUTHOR
- Make webBrowser send Host: header
- Add linux build files to .gitignore
- Set the module for linux socketConstants
- Added value:With:With:With:With:With:With:.
- Get builds working under Arch Linux
- Add a socketConstants slot for os_file under linux
- Fix sockets under Linux
- Clarification of copyright AUTHORS to include Sun and Stanford University
- Split mirrorProgramming from mirror, so that Klein won’t need to file it in.
- Added blockTests.self.
- Clean up and clarification of copyright terms
- Source tree cleanup
- Fixes to UI1
- Starting to refactor the tests to make it easier to use them in Klein.
- Also refactored the slotFinder to be iterative instead of recursive.
- Made the javaServer stuff file in OK (sort of, I think). It still needs to be filed in from the terminal, without the Self desktop running.
- Updated website to Sphinx 0.6.1 and added links to blog
- Fixed a typo in some comments, added max: and min: methods to the ordered mixin.